Director of Government Affairs
About the Chamber of Digital Commerce
The Chamber of Digital Commerce is a long-established trade association that sets the bar for advocacy and promotion of the blockchain and digital ledger technology industry. As the world’s first and largest trade association representing the blockchain industry, our mission is to promote the acceptance and use of digital assets and blockchain-based technologies. Through education, advocacy, and working closely with public policy makers, regulatory agencies, and industry, our goal is to develop a pro-growth legal and regulatory environment that fosters innovation, job creation, and investment. Our work spans almost every facet of the legal and policy arena, and we create effective strategies and outcomes that help drive industry forward.
The Chamber’s policy team works to ensure that policy makers are well-informed about the benefits and uses of blockchain technology and digital assets. The team acts as a resource to legislators to promote the development of technology friendly legislation, and proactively advocates for the industry with regulatory and oversight agencies to prevent overly burdensome regulation and to establish clear regulatory guidelines which support the adoption and growth of blockchain technology.
For more information, please visit www.digitalchamber.org.
Reporting to the Chief Policy Officer, the Director of Government Affairs will play a critical role in ensuring the Chamber continues to be a leading voice for the industry at the state and national levels implementing proactive and defensive advocacy strategies for accomplishing the Chamber’s mission and goals. The Director will also manage the Chamber’s external lobbying resources and build out the Chamber’s Government Affairs internal team over time.
The Director is key member of the Policy team responsible for developing the Chamber’s Government Affairs practice and leading the engagement with legislative policy makers. The ideal candidate for this position will have deep familiarity with blockchain policy issues and significant Capitol Hill experience handling financial services, cybersecurity, and tax issues. The ideal candidate has proven experience establishing and nurturing productive relationships with lawmakers and their offices, as well as demonstrated success in influencing policy and legislation. Detailed knowledge of the legislative process, both at the committee level and the House or Senate floor, is essential. To be successful, the Director will be equally adept at both strategy and execution.
This position is based in Washington, D.C.
Role & Responsibilities
- Develop and execute a government official / Capitol Hill engagement strategy, including introducing the Chamber to policymakers and committees, as well as deepening relationships with existing Chamber advocates.
- Continually identify and feedback into the Policy team topics for potential engagement and education with policy makers. Support the Chief Policy Officer in developing policy maker briefings including drafting briefing materials and sourcing subject matter experts.
- Work directly with Congressional staff to provide input, subject matter expertise and legislative language on legislation throughout the proposal cycle.
- Prepare briefings for Chamber leadership interaction with policymakers.
- Create and maintain a legislative dashboard, including relevant Chamber policy positions or involvement, on all proposed and pending legislation with the potential to impact digital assets and blockchain.
- Monitor all Congressional hearings in real time and provide immediate summaries for the internal Chamber team, as well as Member briefings when relevant.
- Manage the day-to-day deliverables of external government affairs and lobbying agencies and provide weekly status reports to Chamber leadership team.
- Work closely with the Policy team and Chamber Member companies in developing and implementing policy and advocacy campaigns.
- Represent the Chamber periodically in public speaking engagements and be a resource
for the Chief Policy Officer in responding to media inquiries.
- Advanced degree in Public Policy or equivalent experience. Law degree is desirable.
- Minimum 6 year’s demonstrated successful experience in leading, developing and executing legislative and regulatory policy strategic plans and initiatives in a political environment, ideally within financial services or technology.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience within the blockchain/cryptocurrency sector is required.
- Can demonstrate proven ability to successfully develop and nurture Capitol Hill relationships with policymakers, relevant committees, and professional staff, with a track record of results.
- Exceptional writing skills. Demonstrated ability to independently produce policy maker responses, long form thought leadership, short-form blogs, and member communications.
- Ability to distill complex subject matter into simple and easily digestible concepts for policymakers, regulators, and government agencies.
- Experience managing outside resources, including consultants, on legislative or public related initiatives is highly desirable.
- Must be a passionate supporter and advocate of blockchain technology and digital currencies.
- Mission and results driven, with a proven ability to self-motivate and successfully reprioritize as necessary.
- Demonstrated bias toward action, with a high level of energy.
- Exceptional people and relationship skills, with the gravitas and natural ability to interact across and beyond the organization and build consensus with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Desire to both lead initiatives and work as part of a team. A collaborative team player who can harness the collective ideas of others.
Our benefits program includes healthcare, dental, vision, flexible holidays and vacations, 401K plan and a performance bonus program.
To apply for this position, please submit a resume and cover letter indicating salary requirements to Jessica.firstname.lastname@example.org
BE PART OF A UNIFIED VOICE FOR THE BLOCKCHAIN TECHNOLOGY ECOSYSTEM
BE PART OF THE UNIFIED VOICE FOR THE BLOCKCHAIN TECHNOLOGY ECOSYSTEM